For some, early retirement is an incredible achievement to strive for, but oftentimes this life goal is achieved with little idea of what retirement life will look like. Many wonder what to do when they’re retired, but remember – retirement is a lifestyle, not a destination. It’s a new chapter in life full of amazing possibilities. This can include things you’ve always wanted to make time for, or completely new activities you hadn’t considered trying.
With its abundance of good weather and golf, Arizona is known to be one of the best and most exciting retirement destinations in the world. If you live here, or are interested in moving to Arizona, review our suggestions for fun things to do when you retire and fill up your newly freed schedule!
Fun Things to Do in Arizona
- Grand Canyon National Park: This world-famous canyon provides endless views and hiking trails. Chances are you’ll probably want to visit more than once!
- Sedona: This red-rock surrounded town is a great stopping place on the way to the Grand Canyon. There are numerous hiking trails with access to Red Rock State Park, plenty of bird watching, and picnic destinations with beautiful views.
- Arabian Horse Show: In Scottsdale, the Arabian Horse Show takes place every February at Westworld and offers a chance to see some of the most beautiful Arabian horses from around the world. Thousands attend every year, and there are hundreds of accompanying activities.
- Culinary Festival: In April, the Scottsdale Culinary Festival, one of the longest-running festivals in the U.S., arrives with six days of gourmet food and celebrity chefs for every palate.
- Musical Instrument Museum: The relatively new Musical Instrument Museum in North Phoenix has close to 7,000 instruments on display from all over the world. Guests can see and hear instruments and their sounds; many of them in their original contexts. The art gallery showcases instruments from the likes of John Lennon and Taylor Swift.
- Enjoy Outdoor Activities: Beginning this new journey in life might get you thinking about starting up a past hobby or even starting a new one. And with optimal golfing weather almost year-round living in Arizona is the perfect place for spending your days on the links. If golf isn’t your thing, there are plenty of other outdoor activities Arizona caters to such as tennis, swimming, hiking, biking, taking a trip to the Phoenix Zoo or the Desert Botanical Garden, and much more!
Finding a New Purpose
Re-connecting socially with friends is key during retirement. Research shows that many retirees miss the social connections they’ve made at work, which underscores the importance of maintaining a social life during retirement. Social activities like golf, tennis, and joining group fitness classes are all things you can find in an active community like ours. If you are interested in learning more about community living, contact us today!